Aloe Vera is a flower plants that belongs to the lily family like onion and garlic. It’s medicinal in value, with abundant health benefits and assumed to have originated from the tropical and southern Africa region. It’s well cultivated in Bangladesh, Cuba, Australia, Kenya, Tanzania and South Africa, the Dominican Republic, Mexico, India, Jamaica, China and the United State of America.
Aloe Vera produces 2 substances: gel and latex, which are medicinal. The gel is the clear, jelly like substance found in the inner part of the aloe plant leaf while the latex comes from under the plant’s skin and is yellow in color. Some other aloe products are made from it crushed leaf and they contain both gel and latex.
The health benefits of Aloe Vera are
1. Aloe Vera improve your digestive system by detoxify it which lighten the toxic load in your body and increases energy. This effect on digestive system reduces the amount of unfriendly bacteria in your gut, thereby keeping your intestine healthy and balance. It also helps get rid of the intestinal worms. All these benefits have greater effect on your weight loss, reduces constipation and diarrhea.
2. Aloe Vera is rich in amino acids and fatty acids. Amino acids are the building blocks of protein and 22 of them are necessary for your body and Aloe Vera has 8 of these essential nutrients. In addition, it has 3 plant sterols which are HCL cholesterol (which lowers fats in the blood), campesterol, and B-sitosterol which reduce the symptoms of allergies and acid indigestion. It fatty acids include linoleic, linolenic, myristic, caprylic, oleic, palmitic, and stearic.
3. Aloe Vera is rich in vitamins & minerals. Vitamins such as A, C, E, folic acid, choline, B1, B2, B3 (niacin), B6 and B12. In addition, it has 20 minerals which are potassium, copper, manganese, selenium, sodium, iron, zinc, chromium, calcium, and magnesium.
4. Aloe Vera is a well-known for adaptogen effects. An adaptogen is a substance that boosts your body’s natural ability to adapt to external changes and resist illness. This adaptogen effects balance the body’s system; stimulate the defense and adaptive mechanisms of the body. This gives you an increased ability to cope with stress such as physical stress, emotional and environmental stress like pollution.
5. Aloe Vera can boost your immune system. It richness in polysaccharides stimulate macrophages, which are the white blood cells of the immune system that fight against viruses. It richness in antioxidants helps fight unstable compounds such as free radical which contribute to aging. Aloe Vera is an antipyretic, meaning it used to reduce or prevent fever.
6. Aloe Vera is great for your skin. It contains healing properties and compounds used in the cosmetic industry.
It is well-known for treating wounds, burns, abrasions, psoriasis, and bug bites.
Aloe Vera is useful in combating hair loss which support healthy hair growth. With it natural chemical properties such as choline salicylate, and mucopolysaccharides, you can’t go wrong replacing your shampoo with Aloe Vera gel.
It helps relieve pain from wounds and causes the contraction of body tissues thereby reducing bleeding from minor abrasions. Aloe Vera helps with hydration due to its high water content (over 99% water).
Subscribe to Blog via Email
NOTE: “Don’t use anything on your skin that you wouldn’t eat!” Aloe Vera increases the elasticity of the skin through collagen and elastin repair. It helps to soften and soothe the skin, supply oxygen to the skin cells, increases the strength and synthesis of skin tissue and induces improved blood flow to the skin through capillary dilation.
7. Aloe Vera helps to alkalize the body. Diseases can’t live in an alkaline environment and most people are living on acidic foods. For better health, adopt the 80/20 rule (80% alkaline forming foods and 20% acidic). Aloe Vera is an alkaline forming food and it helps to balance overly acidic dietary habits
8. With 12 substances such as B-sisterole, Aloe Vera reduces inflammation by slowing it down and inhibits it which helps with painful joints due to stiffness and improves joint flexibility.
9. Though it hasn’t been proven yet and still under research, Aloe Vera helps with cardiovascular diseases like cardiac and health-related diseases. A study conducted shows that, Aloe Vera extract injected into the blood greatly multiplies the oxygen transportation and diffusion capabilities of the red blood cells. A 2000 issue of the British Medical Journal shows that beta sitosterol helps to lower cholesterol by regulating blood pressure, improving circulation and oxidation of the blood, lowering cholesterol, and making blood less sticky. All these have effect on lowering the risk of heart diseases.
1o. Aloe Vera can be used as disinfectant, antibiotic, antimicrobial, germicidal, antibacterial, antiseptic, antifungal and anti-viral. This further depicts different reasons why you should keep Aloe Vera handy at home.
It contains substances that prevent the growth of diseases caused by micro-organisms and it acts as an anti-microbial activity. Such active ingredients are sulphur, lupeol, salicylic acid, cinnamic acid, urea nitrogen and phenol. It helps with fungal and viral infections, internal and external infections.
11. Aloe Vera gel helps cure osteoarthritis, bowel diseases such as ulcerative colitis; fever, itching and inflammation when taken by mouth (orally). It can be taken for stomach ulcers, diabetes, asthma, and for treating some side effects of radiation treatment.
These health benefits show that, drinking Aloe Vera juice is highly medicinal and preventive against likely diseases. Nevertheless, there are some special precautions & warnings which are:
1. Children under the age of 12 are advised against drinking Aloe Vera or any juice that contains Aloe Vera.
2. Pregnant and nursing mothers are advised against Aloe Vera by mouth because it might lead to miscarriage and risk in birth defects. Nevertheless, scientific research is undergoing to affirm this theory.
3. It is advisable not to take Aloe latex if you have hemorrhoids. It might worsen the condition.
4. Taking high dosage of Aloe latex have been linked to kidney failure and other serious conditions.
5. Stop taking Aloe Vera 2 weeks before surgical appointment because this might affect your blood sugar levels which could interfere during and after surgery.
These are extremely how beneficial Aloe Vera and don’t ignore warnings and precaution. Consider them because they might be helpful. You might like to learn how to make a juice or smoothie out of Aloe Vera; then, read this article.
Latest posts by Adekunle Kazeem (see all)
- Are You Worried If Fat or Not, Read 5 Signs to Watch Out - December 6, 2016
- How Apple Cider Vinegar Help with Weight Loss - November 4, 2016
- Unripe (Green) Plantain Recipes for Weight Loss - October 20, 2016