One of the most favorite food Nigerians love to eat is rice, which has been made into many delicacies such as jollof rice, white rice with stew, coconut rice, fried rice and etc. The north prepares pudding food out of it called tuwo shinkafa.
There are two types of rice: the white and brown rice.
White rice is the most consumed type of rice in Nigeria due to its large availability. It’s considered low in nutritional value, fiber content and other essential vitamins that you need to work properly and the major component it is left with is carbohydrate. The loss of these vital minerals and nutrients were due to the milling processing.
You can think about it, for what essence white rice is low in beneficial content but high in content that aren’t beneficial? What can only add little value to your white rice meal are your creative recipes like vegetable rice or coconut rice and how creatively you can make a healthy recipe.
Nevertheless, it’s not a healthy choice if you want to lose weight; watching your weight or love to keep eating healthy.
Brown rice milling processing is minimal. It has little damage to its nutritional value compared to white rice which has been highly processed through milling and polishing thereby it has been tag an “empty food” due to no or a few calories and nutritional value.
Brown rice involves the removal of the outermost layer only where the brans and side hull are left; thereby retaining its rich minerals in terms of fiber, proteins, thiamine, potassium, magnesium, and calcium.
These are 9 reasons why brown rice is good and healthier for you
1.It’s rich in manganese: 1 cup of brown rice will give you 88% of your daily requirement of manganese which helps the nervous system. In addition, it helps with sex hormones, antioxidants, and energy production.
- It’s rich in fiber helps with weight loss, easy bowel movement which reduces constipation and it serves as great protection against breast and colon cancer.
It’s rich in selenium and this helps with reducing the risk of diseases such as heart diseases, rheumatoid, asthma, arthritis and colon cancer.
- During processing, the oil retains lowers your LDL (bad) cholesterol level. This makes it a great choice for cardiovascular patients.
Brown rice contains a powerful rare nutrient: phenolic which is antioxidants that reduce the risk of many diseases such as colon cancer and other cancer-related diseases.
- Brown rice is rich in magnesium and this reduces the risk of asthma, blood pressure, migraines, heart attack and stroke. In addition, it helps reduces the risk of type 2 diabetes which is caused by an increase in glucose (blood sugar) and insulin secretion beyond what your body handle.
It’s rich in niacin and this increases the nitric oxide: the molecule that helps with blood vessel dilation, prevent damage to cholesterol and the vascular wall.
Its richness in protein can help reduce the risk of atherosclerosis with the increase in blood levels of nitric oxide.
Brown rice has tremendous nutrients, vitamins and trace minerals such as manganese, phosphorus, copper, magnesium and niacin that you can’t forgo. If you have not been eating brown rice for weight loss, you should understand a number of health benefits you might have foregone to your white rice.
Start incorporating brown rice into meal plan today.
Healthy eating is synonymous with the prevention of diseases, better health, and long life.
Latest posts by Adekunle Kazeem (see all)
- Are You Worried If Fat or Not, Read 5 Signs to Watch Out - December 6, 2016
- How Apple Cider Vinegar Help with Weight Loss - November 4, 2016
- Unripe (Green) Plantain Recipes for Weight Loss - October 20, 2016